Friday, September 17, 2010

Pet Characters

Peg (the Collie in my sig pic) was my first original character. I mean, my first EVER. She started life as my imaginary friend when I was little. She always said exactly what she thought and she had bat-wings and she could do magic. As I got older, Peg became more sophisticated as a character. She lost her magical abilities and became a genetically altered lab animal. She became very smart and practical. She gave great advice, though she still spoke her mind with sometimes brutal honesty. She had a wise old dog friend who she completely adored and regarded as her mentor. I started making up stories about Peg when I was still a kid. Sometimes she was just a normal dog and other times she was something special. I even tried to write a novel starring her, but I lost interest after only a few chapters. As a teenager, I used her in role plays and in some short stories for creative writing class. She has continued to evolve and grow with me. When I developed the idea for my NaNo novel series about escaped lab animals, Peg became part of the ensemble cast, along with her mentor. I expected her to be the biggest thing in there, but she shrank quite a bit as the others took over the story. Peg ended up having a much smaller part in the action than I'd anticipated. The others started to drown her out. It's sad, but maybe I've finally started to outgrow her.

No comments:

Post a Comment